Danaus plexippus

"Danaus plexippus 1" - McKinney, Texas
I love butterflies, but honestly who doesn't?  They are like flying paintings.  Living in Texas monarchs are pretty common, but it's still like a mini Christmas when I'm able to get a photo of one.  They are fun caterpillars too, bright green, yellow, black, and white.  Keep your eyes open, there is always some spectacular display of nature around the corner.

I happened upon this butterfly as I was leaving work one day.  I'm no expert, but I think this is a female.  Apparently the males have a spot on their hind wings that is a scent gland to attract the females.  I'm not seeing a spot, so I'm saying this is a female.  Please correctly me if I'm wrong.

Male or female, this butterfly seemed to pose and let me take several photos from a variety of angles before flying out of the parking garage.  It was a nice way to end the day.

Here's hoping that you find your own butterfly or some other special something to brighten your day.

*"Danaus plexippus 1" is for sale.  Please visit Diggin' It or contact me for information on how to purchase a print.

Posted in , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.