Happy New Years and Dryopterises

Happy New Year!  I hope that 2013 is getting off to a good start for everyone.  Mine is.  I sold another photo!  It's called Dryopteris which is the scientific name for a fern, specifically a wood fern.

"Dryopterises" - Chicago Botanic Garden
Ferns are pretty special to me because I spent almost 3 years living in New Zealand and the fern frond is one of their national symbols.  They use it in the logos for their sports teams, tv stations, everything.  It's generally an abstraction of the spiral created by the unfurling fern leaf.  The spiral, or koru, is a meaningful symbol to the Maoris, who are the natives to New Zealand.  It symbolizes new life.  It's all intertwined and I love the symbolism.

I hope that 2013 is a new beginning for all of you!

*"Dryopterises" is for sale.  Please visit Diggin' It or contact me for information on how to purchase a print.

Posted in , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.