Austin Weddings, Flat Tires, and The True Meaning of Memorial Day

I had this whole diatribe about my terrible Saturday ready for you guys.  I was going to tell you about how I spent 9 hours and $600 trying to get to my friend Beth's wedding in Austin and only ever made it to Hillsboro.  That's not even halfway!  The last wedding I was invited to was a destination wedding for my friend Caroline in Colorado.  I couldn't make it because I couldn't afford it.  I thought that I could afford a 4 1/2 hour drive to Austin, but that was before the 2 blown tires and the 30+ mile tow to the closest tire shop.  I was going to try and make my weekend adventures funny for you so that maybe I would start to think that at least some of it was funny (not quite there yet).  But then I went to a Memorial Day ceremony with Janice and I'd much rather share these pictures with you.

"Anemone coronaria" - Dallas Arboretum
The Anemone coronaria above is not from this weekend, but I wanted to share it with you because wearing poppies on days of remembrance for those who have fought and died for our various countries has become an international tradition.  Inspired by John McCrae's poem "In Flanders Fields," poppies are commonly the first flowers to be seen blooming on even the most violent battlefields.  I think it's a wonderful way that our planet chooses to heal, not only the burnt and broken earth, but our spirits.  This planet is pretty amazing.
"Soldier's Salute" - McKinney, Texas
The ceremony took place at Pecan Grove Cemetery in McKinney, Texas.  It included a local boy scout troop, the Knights of Columbus, McKinney Mounted Police, The Plano and McKinney fire departments bag pipers, the McKinney Community Band, historical rein-actors, and so many more.
"Bag Pipers 1" - McKinney, Texas
"Living History 1" - McKinney, Texas
"Attention" - McKinney, Texas

Having the ceremony in a cemetery may seem a little morbid, but Pecan Grove Cemetery is a really lovely cemetery.  It was established back in the early to mid 1800s and is the final resting place for many war veterans from as far back as the Texas Revolution.  (If you're not from Texas you probably haven't been schooled from birth on the war with Mexico, beginning in 1835, where Texans fought for and won their independence.  Even if you're not from Texas, I'm sure you've heard the phrase, "Remember the Alamo."  Well that battle, where 200 Texans defended the Alamo against thousands of Mexican troops for 13 days before being defeated, became a touch point for the revolution.  From 1836 to 1845 we were actually our own nation, the Republic of Texas, before joining the United States.)
"Living History 2" - McKinney, Texas
"Sailors - McKinney, Texas
"Living History 4" - McKinney, Texas
"Bag Pipers 2" - McKinney, Texas

During the ceremony veterans were asked to stand and be recognized: first those in the reserves, those from recent wars and still on active duty, those from the World Wars, and those who cannot stand.  It was so touching, especially the soldier sitting in front of Janice and I who was there with his family.
"Knights in Waiting 2" - McKinney, Texas
"Fly By" - McKinney, Texas

There were grandfathers, fathers, mothers, in their dress blues, uniforms, suits, wearing hats, shirts, and vests with their patches, pins, awards, and recognition of service.
"Liberty's Daughter" - McKinney, Texas
"A Grandson's Hero" - McKinney, Texas
I have more pictures to share, but I thought I would spread them out a little plus I had to take a few photos out of the draft of this post because Blogger choked a bit.  I wouldn't want to break Blogger.  I hope that you enjoy these and that you had a wonderful weekend.

Posted in , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.