Run for the Roses

Since the Kentucky Derby, called the Run for the Roses, is this weekend and my neighborhood is positively bursting with gorgeous roses, I thought I would share some with you.

"Rosa red 1" - McKinney, Texas

I'm not a Derby girl, or into horse races in general.  Yes, I'm a Texan born and raised, but no, I do not now nor have I ever owned a horse.  (I seriously got asked that question by a French exchange student when we were in high school.  The legend of the cowboy purists.)  That being said, for a city girl I have done my fair share of riding.  And not just trail ride ponies.  I've gotten up to a gallop more than once and even ridden bareback before.  Oh yeah, I'm an accomplished rider.  I think I would definitely crack my head if I ever tried racing or certainly jumping a horse.


"Rosa yellow 2" - McKinney, Texas
I spent about two weeks one summer at a camp in Colorado where you had the option of choosing a focus.  I don't remember what the other options were, but I chose horseback riding.  I honestly don't know what prompted this decision.  I like horses, they have those sweet soulful eyes, but I've never spent much time around them, much less cared for one!  I winged when my mom would ask me to clean up the dog presents in the backyard and a horse leaves MUCH larger presents!
"Rosa pink2" - McKinney, Texas

Anyway, you were assigned a horse for your whole stay.  I don't specifically remember the name of mine, though it was something typical like Buttercup, so we'll call her Buttercup.  There were two groups of horse people.  One group took care of and rode the horses in the morning and the second in the afternoon.  I was in the afternoon group and Buttercup was never particularly pleased to see the afternoon group.  I have no idea what happened in the mornings to put her in such a foul mood, but I can't even tell you how many times I got stepped on.  Buttercup even bit me once.  I think she needed her afternoon naps and I was a pretty major interruption.
"Rosa pink 1" - McKinney, Texas

One afternoon we were taking a trail ride.  Typical monkey see monkey do stuff, so not much effort required on my part.  The guide stopped and tell us all about some plant or mountain range or something I can't remember because that was the moment that Buttercup decided that she was going back to the barn no matter what I or anyone else had to say about it!  I pulled on the reigns to stop behind the person in front of me, but Buttercup just kept right on going.  I pulled on the reigns again and kept pulling at which point Buttercup decided to completely bypass stop and go straight into reverse!  Granted continuing the pull back on the reigns does direct the horse to walk backwards, but I was 12, I didn't know that at the time, and Buttercup seemed determined to continue straight ahead, stopped horses in front of us be damned, so I panicked.  We ended up stuck in large shrub (large as in 10 or so feet tall) off the side of the trail.  Much to my embarrassment the guide had to help us out of the shrub.
"Rosa red 2" - McKinney, Texas

Yep, don't think anyone would mistake me for a cowgirl.
"Rosa yellow 1" - McKinney, Texas
*"Rosa red 1," "Rosa red 2," "Rosa yellow 1," "Rosa yellow 2," "Rosa pink 1," and "Rosa pink 2" are for sale.  Please visit Diggin' It or contact me for information on how to purchase a print.

Posted in , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.