Father's Day, Old Cars, and Little Brothers

This past Sunday was Father's Day.  We should all know that, right?  Well, those of us in the US, at least.  Mother's Day is not the same day everywhere.  I got in serious trouble while in New Zealand because Mother's Day there is about a month later and I didn't realize my oversight until the day after Mother's Day in the US.  I got an earful!!!

"1937 Packard 1" - Allen, Texas


So, correction: this past Sunday was Father's Day in the US.  Dad's antique car club has put on a Father's Day Car show for the past several years and this year was no exception.
"Ford Model A 2" = Allen, Texas

I came and took pictures of the old beauties for my father because nothing says Happy Saturday before Father's Day like getting sweaty and taking artsy shots of people's vehicular pride and joy.
"1956 Chevy 210 Sedan 2" - Allen, Texas

There were some truly stunning cars there.
"Ford F100 2" - Allen, Texas

That's not all I did for my dad for Father's Day, I am a better daughter than that.  I also let him take me out to lunch on Sunday.
"1934 Chevy 1" - Allen, Texas

I know you're thinking I'm terrible, but honestly I tried to pay and he was having none of it.  I did get him some truly tacky cards, they are hilarious, and I plan on taking his plane saw in to get repaired.  He's never good about telling you if there is something that he wants or needs, he just goes out and gets it for himself.  It always makes holiday present purchasing an adventure.
"1955 Thunderbird 1" - Allen, Texas

I called my younger brother to see if he wanted to go in with me on a new plane saw for dad, but dad wants to try and get his fixed first and I didn't hear back from the bro until 2 days ago!  See, I'm not the bad kid in the family!
"1957 Chevy Bel Air 3" - Allen, Texas

Jen did call dad on Father's Day, so he's not really the bad kid either.
"1934 Chevy 2" - Allen, Texas

But while I had the Bro on the phone I asked about the pee in the closet story and he said that as long as I didn't tell you his full name is jjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj and that he lives at jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj in jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj and that his phone number is jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj and his e-mail is jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj then it was fine to tell the story, so here we go!  (Sorry, this section is redacted to protect the embarrassed.)
"Ford Model A 3" - Allen, Texas

I have always been fond of the Bro.  I told you in How Does An Allium Remind Me Of My Brother? that I gave him chicken pox as a baby because I kept hugging on him.  As we got older I still loved Bro and we spent a fair bit of time playing together.  (This story makes me wonder why, but I digress.)
"1957 Chevy Bel Air 1" - Allen, Texas

One weekend when I was 10 and the Bro was 6 our father came home with phones for our rooms.  I was ecstatic!  I have no idea why because it's not like I did a ton of talking on the phone at 10, but I felt like a grown up calling my friends, all of whom lived within walking distance from my house.
"Chevy Street Rod 1" - Allen, Texas

I was testing out my new phone, talking about the color of so and so's socks or some other life shattering event, when Bro came in my room and said, "I wanna play."  I told him that I would be off the phone in a minute and I would play with him then.  Bro stamped his foot and said, "No, I wanna play now!"  "I'll be with you in a minute.  I'm on the phone!"
"Ford F100 1" - Allen, Texas

He stuck his lower lip out as far as it would go and yelled, "No!  I wanna play now or I'm gonna...," looked around the room and ended with, "Or I'm gonna pee in your closet!"  Bro folded his arms across his chest and glared at me.  Daring me to ignore him, which, of course, I did.  I went on talking to whoever I was talking to about whatever vitally important thing we were talking about.
"1955 Thunderbird 2" - Allen, Texas

Bro decided that I was not getting off the phone fast enough and all of a sudden he ran for my closet!  The little butthead was actually going to pee in my closet!  "Mom, Jen is peeing in my closet!"  "He's what?"  "Peeing in my closet!"  "No!"  "Yes!"
"Ford Street Rod 1" - Allen, Texas

Mom came running down the hall as Bro exited my closet with a very smarmy, self satisfied grin.  He had peed in the corner of my closet!
"Ford Model A 1" - Allen, Texas

To this day, when this story gets told, and I tell it a fair amount, the fact that the Bro got to spend the rest of the day in his room as punishment and had to clean out my closet matters very little.  Bro always smiles and says, "See, that's why you should always do what I want."  Turd.

"Buick 1" - Allen, Texas
And didn't this just work out great because I didn't have to figure out a set of photos to coordinate with peeing in the closet because even in my rather twisted imagination, other than something yellow and that's a bit on the nose, I have no idea what those photos would be!
"1956 Chevy 210 Sedan 1" - Allen, Texas

*"1934 Chevy 1," "1934 Chevy 2," "1937 Packard 1," "1955 Thunderbird 1," "1955 Thunderbird 2," "1956 Chevy 210 Sedan 1," "1956 Chevy 210 Sedan 2," "1957 Chevy Bel Air 1," "1957 Chevy Bel Air 2," "1957 Chevy Bel Air 3," "Buick 1," "Chevy Street Rod 1," "Ford F100 1," "Ford F100 2," "Ford Model A 1," "Ford Model A 2," "Ford Model A 3," and "Ford Street Rod 1" are for sale.  Please visit Diggin' It or contact me for information on how to purchase a print.

Posted in , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

2 Responses to Father's Day, Old Cars, and Little Brothers

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.