Happy 4th of July!

Happy 4th of July everyone!

"Filly Freedom 1" - McKinney, Texas

Growing up my friends and I were always in our local 4th of July parade with our parents helping us frantically make costumes for whatever that years theme was then taking copious photographs, as proud parents tend to do.

"Patriotic Pooch 1" - McKinney, Texas

The tables have turned, and for the last 3 years I have been the fervent photographer as my parents roll by in my father's old corvette.  I've helped with last minute decorations and been the recipient of my parents' beaming, pride filled smiles as I take picture after picture.  I now have a bit of an understand as to why parents are willing to run around after this or that that "I have to have for the parade," brave the sun and heat for hours for the 5 minutes when their pride and joy passes by, and almost wear out the shutter on the camera...It's that smile.
"Proud Parents 1" - McKinney, Texas

Each year growing up the parade had a different theme and each year my friends and I did a big group of coordinating costumes.  I remember one year the theme was cartoons.  We had the expected Mickey and Minnie, Daisy Duck, etc., but the best was my brother and my friend Sarah.  Roger Rabbit had been released that year or the year before, so we dressed my brother up as Roger Rabbit and my beautiful, statuesque friend Sarah was Jessica.  Seriously, I think she may have been born 6 feet tall.  While Sarah was a wonderful Jessica my brother stole the show.  Really, he won best costume for the whole parade!
"Red, Wheels, and Blue 1" - McKinney, Texas

Bro had the overalls and giant bowtie.  Mom made him huge ears out of wire hangers and even painted his face white.  Poor bro was roasting, but he looked great and managed not to sweat off all of his makeup until the end of the parade.
"Tomorrow's Troops" - McKinney, Texas

The parades always ended with drinks and food at a neighborhood park before the crowds disbanded and most people went to find a pool to revive themselves in.
"Large on Liberty 1" - McKinney, Texas

And while the parade was great, and not just for the abundance of candy that was tossed, the 4th of July festivities at our country club was the highlight of the day!  There were crazy pool races with fathers chugging beers, mothers pushing kids in inner tubes carrying watermelons that the other kid had to smash.  It was fabulous and complete disregard for the chemical balance of the pool, all of your favorite picnic foods, especially snow cones, and all topped off with a spectacular fireworks show!

"Patriotic Pooch 2" - McKinney, Texas
Mmm, snow cones...My favorite was always the blue coconut.  I like the flavor, but it was all about the blue tongue!  I have to admit that occasionally I'll go to Sonic and get a blue coconut slush for the nostalgia and blue tongue of it all.  Now all I can think about are coconut snow cones and slushes!  I'm off to turn my tongue blue, but I hope that you all have a safe and smashing 4th of July!

*"Filly Freedom 1," "Patriotic Pooch 1," "Proud Parents 1," "Red, Wheels, and Blue 1," "Tomorrow's Troops 1," "Large on Liberty 1," and "Patriotic Pooch 2" are for sale.  Please visit Diggin' It or contact me for information on how to purchase a print.

Posted in , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.