Bees, Bees, and More Apis mellifera

I have been a busy little bee lately: work, more board interviews, photographing, crafting, oh, and I made a cat bed out of a wooden wine box, including sewing a zipper into the bed part!  I'm rather impressed with myself.  After my sewing machine incident in Full Moon, Onion Bloom, and a Mishap with the Sewing Machine, you should be too.  We should all actually be impressed that I didn't end up sewing the whole thing to my shirt or the couch!  During my demanding insect behavior I did manage to do some reading on the best times to blog, tweet, etc..  Hint: 6-7 p.m. on a Thursday is not peak time.  So, starting next week I'm going to get back to posting on a regular schedule of Monday and Wednesday.  I do better with a schedule.

"Apis mellifera 1" - McKinney, Texas

I stood in my driveway for a rather obscene amount of time taking these photographs, but I love bees and they were just having a field day in my sunflowers!
"Apis mellifera 2" - McKinney, Texas
As a kid, I always understood that bees were useful insects, unlike mosquitoes which I have never understood the purpose of.  I wasn't one of those people who had a conniption when they came near me.  If you're allergic I understand reacting, but we all know or at least have seen those people who act like a bee within 20 feet of them is tantamount to a bear attack.  All the screaming and flailing.  Honestly people.
"Apis Mellifera 3" - McKinney, Texas

But it wasn't until my college biology class that I really got hooked on bees.  My professor was having a major love affair with the honey bee and he totally infected me.  They are fascinating little creatures!  According to the UN, bees are responsible for pollinating over 70 of the 100 crops that make up 90 percent of the world's food!  They also have this incredibly elaborate mating ritual where the queen flies straight up in the air and the drones race to catch her.  Mating, the loss of some male specific equipment, and I would assume little bee screams follow, but I'll spare you the details.  Bees also see in UV, technically they see combinations of UV, blue, and green.  What looks like a solid colored petal to you and I can actually have a stripe down the middle like a UV landing strip leading to the pistil and stamen (where the pollen is).  Every time I think of this I picture little bugs standing on petals directing bees like those guys at airports (Air Traffic Control) that wave around the airplane directing flashlights.  How can you not smile?

*"Apis mellifera 1", "Apis mellifera 2," and "Apis mellifera 3" are for sale.  Please visit Diggin' It or contact me for information on how to purchase a print.

Posted in , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.