Butterfly and Puppy Tails

Last weekend wasn't just a doggie play date.  Masochistic me also decided to give baths to both dogs.  Seriously, what is wrong with me?  I wasn't sure what Sophie was going to do because she's not crazy about being man handled.  While Pepper doesn't love baths and she will walk away from you at every opportunity, soapy or not, she will come back when you call her.  So I started with Sophie.

"Papilio thoas 1" - McKinney, Texas
I've got one of those slim leashes that you hook to the side of dog tub, mainly because of Pepper's aforementioned tendency to walk away in the middle of a bath, but also because I have fantasies of living in a house with a dog washing station.  Ah, dream big.  I had to give Pepper a bath in my shower this past winter and it was fairly unpleasant for both of us.  It ended with me picking up my 70+ pound dog and carrying her into the shower.  Once in she was fine, but we spent a good 20 minutes wrestling to get her into the shower!  Anyway, Sophie and I had a fight getting the leash on her.  She must have know that I had supper fun things planned for her.  Actually, after I got her on the leash and tethered to something she couldn't pull over, she was very good (and we did shampoo and conditioner!).  I think she liked getting rubbed on.  As soon as I let her off the leash she rolled around in the grass and then went to hide in the garden surround mom's garden house.  While I was bathing Pepper Sophie would slowly creep up until she was about 5 feet away and then she would run back and hide in the garden.  You could totally see her, she's a HUGE brown dog in the middle of a flowerbed, but after I let Pepper off the leash she ran and tried Sophie's hiding place too.  Strange girls.
"Papilio thoas 2" - McKinney, Texas
After the bath is when the real trauma started.  Floppy eared dogs are prone to ear infections, so after a bath we clean out the dogs' ears with this stuff that helps get out any water and, well it cleans their ears out.  Sophie HATES having stuff put in her ears!  She wouldn't come anywhere near me.  I did finally get both of her ears taken care of, but she didn't forgive me until I gave her a cookie.  After that we were all good friends.  We went back outside to finish drying off.  All of us because both dogs soaked my clothes pretty good, and that's when Sophie decided to try and eat this lovely butterfly.  Yum?
"Papilio thoas 3" - McKinney, Texas
No butterflies were hurt in the taking of these photographs...or by the giant chocolate lab that was following me around at the time.

*"Papilio thoas 1", "Papilio thoas 2," and "Papilio thoas 3" are for sale.  Please visit Diggin' It or contact me for information on how to purchase a print.

Posted in , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.