Memorial Day 2014

I went to the Pecan Grove Memorial Day ceremony again this year and it was just as wonderful as last year.

"Old Glory" - McKinney, Texas
It drizzled on and off through the whole ceremony and I didn't get any many photos this year as I did last year because people had umbrellas up, including myself, and I was paranoid about my camera getting wet and becoming an INCREDIBLY expensive paperweight.  The fire chief was very indulgent and allowed me to take this photo of his shield with the flag after the ceremony though.  Thanks Chief!
"Shield and Flag" - McKinney, Texas
The speakers this year included Ross Perot, Ralph Hall, and Sam Johnson.  Funnily enough, on Saturday I met an interesting, older gentleman at the Morning Maniacs Memorial Day Car Show, more on that later this week, who had worked for Mr. Perot.  It is a small world, isn't it?
"Attention 2" - McKinney, Texas
The whole ceremony was moving, but one of the things that stuck with me most was a something that Congressman Johnson said in his speech.  Sam Johnson was a POW in Vietnam and recited a quote that another POW had scrolled on one of the prison walls, "Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know."
"Living History - Teddy Roosevelt" - McKinney, Texas
No, this gentleman wasn't, to my knowledge, actually dressed up as Teddy Roosevelt, but he really reminds me of him in his Rough Rider days.

*"Old Glory," "Shield and Flag," "Attention 2," and "Living History - Teddy Roosevelt" are for sale through Diggin' It, me, and now various images can be purchased through Fine Art America.

Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.