Monthly Projects, Installment 3

Today I'm going to show you these fantastic frames that I made from some old shutters.

"Frames After 1" - McKinney, Texas
I live in the historic district of McKinney and many of the houses are turn of the century houses, built in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
"Frames Before" - McKinney, Texas
The house down the street from me, which had not been lived in for years, was finally sold and the new owners immediately set to work remodeling it.  During the demo phase, four shutters from the front of the house were removed.  These shutters are solid, tongue and groove wood that have been weathered perfectly by the elements.  Luckily for me I was able to grab them before the dumpster was emptied.
"Frames After 2" - McKinney, Texas
I cut the shutters down so that they would fit a 8" x 10" piece of glass.  I wanted the frames to be a mix of antique, shabby chic, and industrial.  First I glued the two pieces of wood that made up each shutter together.  Then I used some fun pieces of metal that I found to create braces on either end of the frame to make sure that the two pieces of wood stay together.  I drilled four large holes for the industrial size nuts and bolts that I bought to hold the glass in place.  Since there is a pretty good chance that some of the paint used on these shutters is lead based, I coated each frame with several coats of polyurethane.  After letting that dry for 24 hours I put the whole thing together and got...
"Frames After 1" - McKinney, Texas
I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.  I've got three for sale at Diggin' It and the material to make more once those sell.  The frames can be configured in several different ways to best suit your decor and each one is one of a kind.

"Frames After 3" - McKinney, Texas


And doesn't the display at Diggin' It look great?!?

Posted in , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.