August's Clever Creation

What do you think about that title?  I know a million and one other people have used it, but I'm kind of liking it.  I'll keep thinking and keep sending me your suggestions please!

"Altered Puzzle Before 1" - Hilltop Lakes, Texas
Well, this month I am working on something that might be a fun first day of school gift for a teacher, an altered puzzle!

"Altered Puzzle During 1" - Hilltop Lakes, Texas
An altered puzzle can be any personalization and transformation of a puzzle.  Some people dump the puzzle pieces out and work on them randomly so that you are totally surprised once they put the finished project together.  (I will be doing that next time.)  This time around I have decided that I want each of my pieces to link to each other through a line or shape.  So the ground in one will continue on to the next and become the side of a building, etc.  I've probably made my life more difficult and less spontaneous, but if it works out like I see it in my head it will be very fun.  Just a warning, it took considerably longer than expected to get from the picture above to the state of the puzzle below, so if you are doing this with a child you might want to do the initial puzzle covering yourself and let the kids handle the fun decorative part.
"Altered Puzzle During 2" - McKinney, Texas
I used a variety of scrapbook paper to cover all of my puzzle pieces using mod podge as the adhesive.  The time consuming part is cutting the scrapbook paper to the exact shape of your piece with an exacto knife.  I glued the pieces down first and then cut around them to make sure that the paper went to the edge, but there may be a less time consuming way to do it.  I know paint would be quicker, but I wanted the patterns that scrapbook paper gives you.  If you have a better way, please drop me a line, I'd love to hear it.  And now I get to decorate each piece with some sort of fun picture or collection of shapes!  I'm hoping to have a finished puzzle to show you next week, so stay tuned!  I actually started this puzzle with Janice the other weekend, and I hope that she sends me a photo of her finished puzzle to share with you as well.  In the meantime, please share photos of your clever creations.

Posted in , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.