Morbidly Beautiful

If you've seen my Memorial Day posts for the last two years, Austin Weddings, Flat Tires, and The True Meaning of Memorial Day and Memorial Day 2014, then you probably remember that the ceremony is held in a cemetery.

"Cemetery 1" - McKinney, Texas
Luckily, I have not had too many occasions to spend much time in cemeteries and have given very little thought to the aesthetics of them.

"Cemetery 2" - McKinney, Texas
That changed this year.  I did notice some of the carvings last year, but didn't give them much thought as Janice and I were in the middle of a rather large crowd and everyone was trying to get to their cars as quickly as possible.  Leaving the ceremony this year was a bit slower and I went down a row of truly beautiful headstones and row markers.
"Cemetery 3" - McKinney, Texas
I know it's a bit morbid, but I wanted to share some of these stunning works of art with you.
"Cemetery 4" - McKinney, Texas
These were all in an older section, so I can only assume that they were carved by hand.  Imagine, this was the norm at one point.  No wonder people used to regularly have picnics in cemeteries.  I always thought that that would be a rather horrid way to spend lunch, but if you were surrounded by beautiful works of art like these...I think I might be able to stomach it.
"Cemetery 5" - McKinney, Texas
Personally, I'm not planning on having a plot and a tombstone.  If I had my way, my funeral would be old school, viking style.  I'd been laid out on a wooden boat, pushed out to sea, and then set on fire with incendiary arrows.  No, I am not melodramatic, I have no idea what you mean!  Plus I'm pretty sure that that constitutes a heap of safety and environmental violations these days, so I'll have to come up with a Plan B.
"Cemetery 6" - McKinney, Texas
I'm not positive what sort of copyright there is on headstones and other cemetery markers, but as it is the work of another artist, I can only assume that photographic reproductions cannot be sold without permission.

Posted in , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.