Drinking and Dancing - It's Oktoberfest

Since I'm fairly certain that you guys do not want to hear about the time I spent in the morning getting my car inspected and washed, let's just say that my weekend began with Oktoberfest!

"Oktoberfest 2014 1" - McKinney, Texas
This year Oktoberfest was three days long, beginning with a full day on Friday.  I was not able to get out there until Saturday, but...
"Oktoberfest 2014 2" - McKinney, Texas
That's when the dancers were scheduled, so it worked out perfectly for me.
"Oktoberfest 2014 3" - McKinney, Texas
These two were too cute!
"Oktoberfest 2014 4" - McKinney, Texas
I have to say that the dancers are probably my favorite part...aside from the outfits, the food, the drinks...
"Oktoberfest 2014 5" - McKinney, Texas
This gentleman seemed to be in charge of this group of dancers called the S.T.V Almrausch.  He made some jokes and provided some interesting information about the outfits that their group wore, including the plume on the side of the men's hats.  I will spare you the details because it involves hunting and I think you can figure it out for yourselves, but those funny fluffy things are not actually feathers, but deer fur.  Made me rethinking getting one of those hats because I have a thing about fur, but interesting none the less.  (BTW: I like to pretend, though deep down I know it's absurd, that feathers are collected after having naturally fallen out.  I am not able to make that logic leap with fur, so...)  Still torn on the hat because how fun are they?
"Oktoberfest 2014 6" - McKinney, Texas
How appropriate that today is "Ask a Stupid Question" Day, so here goes: What does a pirate ship have to do with Oktoberfest?  I don't know either, but there was a big ship parked in the square selling shaved ice.  It seemed to be a big hit with the kids.
"Oktoberfest 2014 7" - McKinney, Texas
Not only was the beer flowing, but so was the root beer!  People bought these fantastic mugs and waited in lines that were just as long as the beer lines for their choice of barreled soda.  Root beer seemed to be the most popular by far.
"Oktoberfest 2014 8" - McKinney, Texas
There was tons for the kids to do...
"Oktoberfest 2014 9" - McKinney, Texas
Like a petting zoo with a lemur that you weren't allowed to pet, but I really wanted to...
"Oktoberfest 2014 10" - McKinney, Texas
More traditional petting zoo animals that you could actually pet...
"Oktoberfest 2014 11" - McKinney, Texas
A giant climbing wall and much more!
"Oktoberfest 2014 12" - McKinney, Texas
I finally got to meet the new shop dog at Canine Cookie Company, Daisy!  How cute is she?  You can't really see it, but her harness says "Security" across it.  I couldn't get a good shot of her with the harness, but I'll be going back for sure.
"Oktoberfest 2014 13" - McKinney, Texas
And I ended my visit with a dog race where neither dog was interested in racing until their owners showed them how.
"Oktoberfest 2014 14" - McKinney, Texas

Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.