September's Clever Creation, Part 2

Ok, today's post gets a whole number because it's actually finished!  I've seen variations of this idea all over Pinterest and have always though it was a fun, rather simple, way to make something new with a few plates and candlestick holders.  Most people seem to be using them as cake stands or jewelry holders, but when I saw this for the first time one thing leapt into my head...

"Sponge Dish 1" - McKinney, Texas
Sponge and brush holder by the kitchen sink!
"Sponge Dish 2" - McKinney, Texas
I don't know about you, but I have a dish sponge, a hard core scrubbing sponge, a bottle brush, and two drain plugs that all sit around my kitchen sink and they need a cute home!  Right now I've got a soap dish and a cup holding most of those things, but regularly the dish sponge just ends up on the side of the sink and none of it is well coordinated or cute.  I'm hoping that my new sponge holder will get all of these things up off my sink in a single good looking dish.  First I have to move out the various plants and glass bottles that have landed on the counter of my sink in search of a permanent home, but...If my new sponge holder doesn't end up working as a sponge holder for whatever reason, that's ok because I can always use it as a cake stand, jewelry holder, or come up with some other clever use for it.
"Sponge Dish 3" - McKinney, Texas
If you want to make your own all you need is a plate, a candlestick holder or a smaller vase, and some good glue.  Janice and I found my plate and fat candlestick holder during our search through Goodwill.  Originally we had been looking at slimmer candlestick holders, but the plate that I found is a dinner plate, so the bigger candlestick holder is a better proportion.  We also found a fun crackled turquoise vase that Janice will use at the base for hers.  We then found a patterned, yellow salad plate for her at Target. We got Gorilla Glue Super Glue because it's thicker and works on a multitude of surfaces.  I, however, did not read the instructions where they tell you use one dab per square inch, and used WAY more than was necessary so everything was still a little sticky some 36 hours later.  In other words, you probably want to read the instructions on your glue.  Glue your candlestick holder/vase/or whatever else you find to use as a base to your plate, let it cure for 12 hours to 3 days, depending on how well your glue instruction reading skills are, and then you have your very own sponge holder/cake stand/jewelry holder/or whatever other clever use you can come up with thing.  Enjoy!

Posted in , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.