September's Clever Creation, Part .5

So, I'm calling this Part .5 because all three of my lamps are only partially finished.  Actually calling them halfway finished is a bit generous, but...

"Lamp 1 During 1" - McKinney, Texas
Apparently I went lamp crazy the past couple of weeks.  I've had these lamps that weren't quite right, but I had big ideas for floating around my house for WAY longer than I care to admit and this week, when I had just a few other things going on, I decided seemed like a great time to start working on them...I'm a bit mental.
"Lamp 1 During 2" - McKinney, Texas
This first lamp was rescued from the "free, I'm moving" pile at Janice's house.  It's a nice heavy lamp, but it's bronze, not my thing, and had no lampshade.  I had a simple white shade on it, but it was a bit boring and I managed to sell it at my garage sale, so I mooched the big black one off mom and dad.  They had two of them and then one of the dogs, not mine thankfully, dumped one of the lamps they were on over and busted up the shade beyond repair.  Mom hung on to this one just in case and bought herself two new ones, which meant that I got this one for free!  I got two rolls of the burlap ribbon from Micheal's thinking that it would be more than enough...I was wrong.  I'm going to go back for another two rolls and some black spray paint to spray the base.  I'll share when I finally get it finished.
"Lamps 2 & 3 During 1" - McKinney, Texas
The base of lamp number two was in my room and then my brother's room when we were children.  We LOVED animal crackers, actually still do, so we both loved this lamp.  I got a hold of it when I moved out and have been looking for just the right lampshade for years.  Janice and I made a run to the local Goodwill, for a project that I'll share with you tomorrow, and we had a look through their lampshades.
"Lamp 2 During 1" - McKinney, Texas
I found one that was a good shape and nicely textured linen material, but it was a gross, stained off-white.  I pulled off the binding and decided to experiment with coloring the material with a Sharpie.  I figured, worse case scenario, I have to pull the material off and recover it, which was what I was thinking I would do when I bought it, best case scenario, I just have to redo the trim.  Well, the Sharpie worked!  I am thrilled!  You can't see any stripes or blotches or anything.  I did end up going over the whole lampshade a few times, but I was watching some British mysteries on TV, so it worked out great.  I'm going to redo the trim with turquoise and yellow ribbons.
Finally, lamp number three was given to me by one of my friends.  It came with this great feeling faux leather lampshade, but the body of the lamp is a little bit much for me with the pastel coloring and all of the rather intricate design.  A few weeks ago I saw a tutorial on using aluminum foil to decoupage something so that it looks a bit like hammered metal.  I decided that this lamp would be much more my style if it was hammered metal, so I'm going to give that a go.
"Lamp 3 During 1" - McKinney, Texas
Because the base will still be rather busy, a more industrial skeleton of a lampshade seemed like a good fit.  During the same trip to Goodwill I found a lampshade that was rather grotty, but had a great shape.  The square shade is a nice balance to all of the curves on the base.  Janice then suggested that I get a fun, antique style Edison bulb.  I really think that this is going to be a fun lamp when it's finished.
"Lamp 3 During 2" - McKinney, Texas
I can't wait to share all of my finished lamps with you, hopefully before the end of the month.

Posted in , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.