My All Saints' Day Halloween Party

I may have mentioned that I really love Halloween a time or two over the past month, so it should come as no surprise that I try to have a Halloween party each year.  Nothing insane, like a haunted house, spending hundreds renting a screen worthy costume, or anything, but a fun excuse for friends to get together and enjoy coming up with crazy outfits.  This year's Halloween party was actually on November 1st because Halloween was on a Friday and trying to get ready for a party after working all day would not have made me a happy hostess.  Plus there is NO way that my house would have been presentable Friday night.  And the weekend before Halloween I was dog sitting for Sophie because my parents were out of town, so that was out.  But it worked out great and gave me my theme, an All Saints' Day Halloween party.

"All Saints' Day Halloween Party 2" - McKinney, Texas
My friends are so good and they play along with my theme parties, which have included Superheros and Supervillans (but you had to make up your own), wear something crazy on your head (could be a mask, hat, or whatever else you wanted to put on your head), or this year's All Saints' Day Halloween party (bring or wear something dedicated to your favorite saint, i.e. an arch to represent St. Louis).
"All Saints' Day Halloween Party 3" - McKinney, Texas - Joan Matlock, photographer
We had a couple of St. Bernards, St. Nicks, a New Orleans Saint, a river, a city, etc.  And how clever is my friend Kathy?  She made her St. Bernard ears out of golf club covers!  I love it!
"All Saints' Day Halloween Party 4" - McKinney, Texas - Joan Matlock, photographer
But the best had to be my dad as Saint Boobala (yep, he totally made that one up), the patron saint of breast cancer survivors!  I've mentioned that I participated in the Breast Cancer 3 Day for several years, but it was actually me and both my parents along with a team full of friends.  Well, while my mom and I walked, my dad was part of the crew and one of the things that the crew does is dress up in crazy outfits every day.  My dad and some of our other teammates on crew became famous for their amazing outfits, which included fairy wings, pink wigs, several tutus, flower bikini tops, and oh so much more, but always giant fake boobs!  There are actually several pictures of my father in all his pink, giant boobed glory floating around the internet.  Now that is a secure man. (Not that I'm bias or anything.)
"All Saints' Day Halloween Party 5" - McKinney, Texas - Joan Matlock, photographer
Back to the party: The food was excellent!  As well as going along with my party themes, my friends always bring great food!  I made baked brie wrapped in crescent dough with raspberry jelly (super easy and so good *recipe at the end of the post), my Pimento, Jalapeno Jelly, Bacon Crostinis, and these Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars (oh my yum!!!  Great recipe, I think next time I will add an extra apple or two.)  Add to that the several types of crackers and dips, deviled eggs (always a winner), chex mix, cheesecake bars, and pigs in a blanket that my friends brought, not to mention the wine, and you have the makings of a great buffet!
"All Saints' Day Halloween Party 6" - McKinney, Texas
I think throwing a party must be like having a kid and you focus on how much fun it was and quickly forget the pain of getting to that point because I'm already planning my next party.  I am forever hopeful that I won't let my crafts and creations take over the house again and that I will magically wake up one day and love cleaning, but somehow I don't see that happening, so maybe I'm just a masochist.
"All Saints' Day Halloween Party 1" - McKinney, Texas
Crescent Wrapped Brie and Raspberry Jelly

1 round of brie (4-6 inch diameter)
1 package of Pillsbury original crescent dough (makes 8 rolls)
1 jar of raspberry jelly

Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Get out an 8" x 8" baking dish and coat the bottom of the dish with a thin layer of olive oil or butter.  Open and separate your crescent dough into the 8 triangles.  Lay them out in your baking dish to create a solid base for the brie, alternating the directions of the triangles, i.e. straight end then pointed end, etc.  Put your brie round on the dough and then cover the top of the brie with some of your raspberry jelly.  **I would not recommend doing what I did, putting a big glob of jelly in the middle of the brie assuming that it would spread out while cooking.  It does not.***  Then fold the dough over the top of the brie and jelly, checking for gaps around the sides.  Bake in a 375 degree oven until golden brown, roughly 15 minutes.

P.S. Didn't my mom do a great job helping me take photos?!?

Posted in , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.