Let's Talk Terrariums and Garland

The other week I told you that I redid my terrariums and was going to tell you about them and then I got wrapped up (bad pun intended) in Christmas. So now, lets get to those terrariums.

"Christmas 2014 Apothecary Jar and Terrariums After 1" - McKinney, Texas

As previously mentioned, I'm no expert when it comes to terrariums and the first go around I actually planted the wrong thing all together.  I started out planting succulents, which would have been great, but not in a closed terrarium.  I did some reasearch and read that African violets are actually good for enclosed terrariums, so that's what I planted this time around.
"Terrariums During 1" - McKinney, Texas

I have three apothecary jars of varying sizes that I wanted to turn into terrariums.  My friend Mary gave me three violets for my birthday and I decided to plant two in my wide and shallow jar and one in my large cut glass jar.  This leaves one free for me to change out for holidays and such.
"Terrariums After 2" - McKinney, Texas

In my terrariums I put a layer of gravel and rocks at the bottom to help with drainage.  I then filled each jar with soil specifically made for violets.  I planted the violets and then covered the soil with a layer of stones.
"Terrariums After 3" - McKinney, Texas
This is my first time keeping violets, my mother used to have several that did very well (they all bit it at the new house because she couldn't find a room where they liked the light).  I know that they are rather finicky plants.  They don't like it when their leaves get wet, they are rather particular about the light that they get, etc..  The stones are an aesthetic feature, but they are also to help keep the violet leaves dry.  I'll let you know how they do long term.
"Christmas 2014 Garland 2" - McKinney, Texas
Now, let's talk about garland...
"Christmas 2014 Wreath After 3" - McKinney, Texas
Last week I told you about the garland I made from wooden beads and jute.  Well, I decided that my wreath need a little something extra so I made this star garland.
"Christmas 2014 Wreath After 4" - McKinney, Texas

I wanted the stars to have the look of a brown paper bag, but to be a bit more durable.  There were several different choices of brown scrapbook paper and the one that I chose had a linen texture and a nice thickness to it that I think should survive through numerous uses.  I cut as man stars out of the sheet of scrapbook paper as I could.  I then punched holes in all of them and fed them onto the jute.  I used the same process as with the wooden bead garland, tying a knot between the stars.

Posted in , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.