New Orleans Paper Cutout

Happy Ash Wednesday everyone!  I hope that you all had a great Fat Tuesday and that it was suitably glutinous heading into 40 days of sacrifice.

"Paper Cutout New Orleans" - McKinney, Texas
Today I'm working on my tutorial skills and I'm going to show you guys how I created this week's paper cutout.
"Paper Cutout Before 1" - McKinney, Texas
So I knew that I wanted to do something for Mardi Gras, but just doing the masks seemed too predictable so I decided that that the New Orleans skyline might be fun.  I found several images of the skyline online and many of them showed the city's reflection in the water, which I thought was prefect!  I'd create a skyline and a reflection.
"Paper Cutout During 1" - McKinney, Texas
I needed several different colors of paper, including, of course, purple, green, yellow, and blue.  The blue and the green were going to be the sky and the water, so I used my handy dandy hole punch and cut out two circles.  On to the skyline: NOLA Decals had a silhouette of the city which I used as my inspiration.  I drew out the skyline on the back of the purple and yellow sheets of paper.  You have to make sure that you draw out the mirror image because you don't want pencil or pen marks on the finished side.
"Paper Cutout During 2" - McKinney, Texas
I then used my super scissors, I use Honey Bee scissors which have worked well for me but I am far from an expert at this point.  I first cut the blue circle in half.  I cut out the dome, which if you want to cutout any internal pieces you can either use an exacto knife or you can do it with your scissors.  This time around I used my scissors, but I started it out by using a hole punch.
"Paper Cutout New Orleans" - McKinney, Texas
After I got everything cut out, I glued it all together.  I have been using Elmer's Extra Strength Craft Glue Stick because you are less likely to get glue leakage.  I am not sure if I'm going to end up cutting off the extra skyline on either side or not and I'm thinking that I may need to add some glitter...It's for Mardi Gras after all!

Posted in , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.