Up Here On My Soapbox

My life is still a big ball of chaos and it keeps getting more complicated, but I do have several posts that I'm hoping to get up this week starting with today's discussion on how to be a polite driver, aka how not to be a jerk behind the wheel.  I'll start out by saying that I am not the best driver in the world.  That is not to say that I am a terrible driver, but I do, on occasion, mostly by accident but sometimes intentionally, do jerky things while driving, like unintentionally cut someone off changing lanes or miss someone in my blind spot.  When I do these things accidentally I sheepishly wave and say I'm sorry.  Yes, I know the other driver can't hear me, but I mouth the word big like a giant dork, and it makes me feel better because I've apologized.  It's a simple gesture people, wave an apology if you screw up, we're all human and the person behind the wheel of the other car should accept the apology and everyone moves on.

"Lilium 2" - McKinney, Texas
What not to do:  Please do not try to pull into my lane, without signalling, into the space which my car is currently occupying, and then flip me off when I honk at you to avoid an accident.  I cannot magically make my car disappear because you have decided that you should be able to occupy five lanes at the same time.  And I'm fairly certain that if your car will take off the whole front half of my car should you persist in pulling into my lane, that you are the one that is doing something wrong, not me who is driving forward in a single lane in a straight line.  All you had to do was wave or ignore me all together when I drove around you because I was alarmed by your inability to see my bright red car and the fact that I had to slam on my brakes because you kept coming even after I honked.
"Hemerocallis 6" - McKinney, Texas
One more what not to do:  Honestly, most people learned this in elementary school, so I don't know why this is so hard, but if there are two lanes of traffic that merge into one and they are both backed up, you merge one by one alternating lanes.  It's really not that hard.  One car from the right lane pulls forward then one car from the left lane and so on until all of the cars are gone.  Everyone in both lines has something they would rather be doing and they all have somewhere to be, you are not more important that anyone else, so don't be a jerk and pull around people or cut other people off.
"Lilium 3" - McKinney, Texas
An apology:  I have an apology of my own to issue because I fell into the trap of thinking that where I needed to go was so much more important that everyone else and I was a bit of a jerk myself.  I was driving behind an older lady in a super cool Jeep.  I have no idea what kind of Jeep because I was way to focused on the fact that this lady was determined to go well under the speed limit and would ride her brakes the whole way down every hill.  I was harrumphing and telling what is probably a very interesting lady to move it and get out of my way, instead of just dealing with it and focusing on me and my driving, so Jeep lady, I'm sorry for being a butt, I hope that you didn't notice me and if you did that you just ignored me.  Everyone else please excuse my little rant, I just had to get it off my chest.

Posted in , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.