My Journey - Test Results

So, I think it goes without saying that my test results showed that I needed surgery, but what they said specifically was fairly devastating at the time.  Remember, I thought I had until age 60 before I was due for surgery.  I did my best to keep it together while on the phone with my cardiologist and then my surgeon's assistant.  I managed to ask appropriate questions and take notes, and then I went to my parents' house and cried to my mom.  Luckily my mother actually remembered that we had been told that I would probably need surgery sometime between the age of 35 and 45.  I still wasn't excited about surgery, but it did make me feel better that I wasn't 20 something years too early for surgery.

Now for some details: My cardiologist told me that, while my heart valve was worn, the issue that need addressing more immediately was the fact that I had developed an aneurysm in my aorta.  This is common with a bicuspid valve like I had, but the word aneurysm is scary.  Both my cardiologist and my surgeon's assistant assured me that I wasn't going to keel over at any moment.  Thank goodness, that would have been a real bummer.  They did say that I needed to have the aneurysm removed and a graft put in sooner rather than later, and since I was going to have to have open heart surgery to fix that, it made sense to replace my bum valve too.  Replacing the portion of the aorta that had been weakened due to the odd way that blood flowed through my valve and the increased amount of work that both my valve and aorta had to do, doesn't make a ton of sense if the cause of the initial problem is going to be left unrepaired.  Plus having a series of heart surgeries would mean having to have my breast bone broken multiple times, which sounds like a horrible plan!  Roughly one week after I found out that I had to have surgery my parents and I met with the surgeon and about two weeks later I was having surgery...

Posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.