My Journey - Healthcare Angels!

My mom was a nurse so I was always taught to appreciate them, but surgery and an extended hospital sure brought that appreciation to a whole new level!

I had been told by my surgeon that I would be in the hospital for at least a week after surgery. And, silly me, I thought that that would give me a bit of down time, but I was WRONG! My days began at about 6:30 a.m. when the nurse on duty would come take roughly 800 vials of blood. Really I think it was 8 but...Then the nurse tech would come in and take my blood pressure, pulse, and temperature. I then had just enough time to get out of bed and brush my hair before the x-ray tech wheeled me down for another session photographing my insides. I was back in my room with time to order breakfast before the regular routine of physical therapy twice a day, breathing therapy four times a day, occupational therapy once a day, and the parade of doctors and surgeons made their way through. Throw in the frequent nurse and nurse tech checks of everything from blood pressure and pulse to medications and my days were FULL. (There were also regular check ins, blood pressure, temperature, etc. testing throughout the night too.) At the end of the day I was exhausted because there was very little time when there was not someone in my room testing something. But I just had me to worry about, the nurses and techs had an entire floor to take care of! And they were amazing at it. I was not really prepared for how my mobility would be limited and how much help I would need. This surgery and everything leading up to and after has been a hilarious, scary, amazing, humiliating, humbling, confidence building experience. The nurses and techs that cared for me on a daily basis had to help me with most everything from getting out of bed to personal hygiene and they never behaved like it was an inconvenience or treated me like I was an invalid. Today when most people treat customer service as merely a concept and not an actionable part of their job, these amazing people took pride in their service and in the improvements that I made because of their care, and I don't think that I will ever be able to thank them enough for the kindness and compassion and cheerleading and encouragement that they gave me. Thank you thank you for everything that you do.

Posted in , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.